Experiencing joint pain, muscle pain and weakness. ANA-speckled titre of 160H. Meaning?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi. my name XXXXXX, I am 41 Years of age and have currently had some blood tests from my Endocrinologist. Test I don't know much about is I had a ANA-speckled titre of 160H, Ref range is <80. could you explain this result. Symptoms I am currently experiencing is severe joint pain, muscle pain and weakness, itchy skin and burning eyes. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to health care magic.

Thanks for writing.
XXXXXXX titer stands for anti nuclear antibody titre XXXXXXX titer is used to rule out connective tissue disorders.

Such type of disorders is autoimmune .There is production of antibodies in body which are responsible for damage. XXXXXXX titer detects such type of antibodies.

Most of such disorders involve skin, joints, muscles etc. Other body parts get involved as disease progresses.

There is a wide spectrum of such disease. Based on your history, you may have probably lupus. The other possibility is of dermatomyositis. Exact diagnosis can be made by your treating doctor.

They respond to treatment but treatment needs to be continued even if you are free from symptoms. Be in regular follow-up with your treating doctor.

Exposure to sun can worsen the condition so avoid it as far as possible.

I hope this can help you. If you still have any concerns feel free to ask. Take care.

Follow-up: Experiencing joint pain, muscle pain and weakness. ANA-speckled titre of 160H. Meaning? 10 hours later
Thanks for your opinion. O.k, now could you help me understand my other blood test results. RCC result was *mild rouleau *mild anisocytosis and poikilocytosis. Platelets *mildly increased. And The White Cell Differential *lymph is Auto 1.9. Thanks I'll be waiting for your opinion.

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 11 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

R.B.C. (Red blood cells), W.B.C.(white blood cells),& platelets form normal component our blood. Blood examination is done as a routine check up in any disorders.

Roulex formation,anisocytosis and poikilocytosis is suggestive of abnormal shape and size of R.B.Cs .This occurs in anemia. It is usually common to find anemia in connective tissue disorders.

W.B.C are protective cells of body and there count is increased in many disorders. So it is also common to find raised W.B.C s in connective tissue disorders.

Decrease in platelets is of more significant rather than increase, so need not to be much worry for it.

In short, all your blood findings also point towards a connective tissue disorder. It is best thing that your disease has been diagnosed early by your doctor, only thing you have to do be in regular follow up with him.

Hope I answered your query. Take care.