Experiencing joint pain. Taken levaquin. Having severe pain in legs and knees. Suffer stiffness. Caused long term damage?

What if I have taken levaquin and I am still experiencing joint pain?
I took 2 rounds of this medication at 750 mg. Toward the end of the first round, my legs and knees began to hurt but I didn't think about it being the medication at first. When the doctor prescribed the second round, the pain in my legs and knees began to get worse. I stopped taking it with 4 pills remaining. My pain is better, but I still have some stiffness and at night, when I go to bed, they ache terribly. Has this caused long term damage?

Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I must say that side effects of levaquin include tendinitis which is the most common among all and more common in elderly individuals.I advice you to consult your doctor to rule out tendinitis or tendon rupture.And until the drug is not excreted completely you will have some of its effects and it will take 34-40 hours to be completely eliminated from your body.You did the right thing by discontinuing the medication. Dont worry much as it wont cause any long term damage.Treatment includes anti inflammatory drugs like advil and rest.

Hope this answers your query.You can ask if you have any follow-up questions.