Experiencing itching on the edge of vagina. Is it related to bladder incontinence?

May 2013
I am experiencing itching in one specific area on the outside edge of my vagina. I think it may be related to bladder incontinence as I have to wear a Poise pad continuously to control odor and wetness. Should I be concerned that this itching is confined to one small section of that area and have my M.D. look at it? If it could be associated with my incontinence should I search out a topical treatment and if so are there many choices of topical solutions?
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Better to get examined Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Yes, continuous wetting can affect the surrounding skin and mucosa. Warm and humid areas are more prone for infection. So better to get examined once. Consult your gynecologist once and get examined to find out the exact cause. If there are signs of infection, you may need course of antibiotics. If there are no signs of infection, itching etc symptoms can be controlled by antihistamines. The type of local cream to be used depends on the cause for the problem. Bacterial infection needs antibiotic cream, in case of fungal infection antifungal creams are needed. By examination and if needed by taking the swab for culture and sensitivity, the causative organism can be identified and treated. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.