Experiencing hypothyroidism symptoms. Labs test showed elevated T3. Should I be worried?

Question
I have been experiencing hypothyroidism symptoms. My labs came back with a TSH of 5.5, but an elevated level of free T3 which from what I can understand is not possible? Should I be worried about pituatary tumors?
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 54 minutes later
No its unlikely to be apituitary tumor. High free t3 is a lab error. Repeat thyroid profile after a couple of months from a different lab. In hypothyroidism free t3 and free 4 are low or normal not high. So there is some problem with the lab reports. One of them must be wrong. Hypothyroid symptoms are non specific and many patients without hypothyroidism can have these symptoms.
Dont base your decision on a single lab value, repeat the test after a few weeks. If the same results are reconfirmed then we can see.
I dont think you have any significant thyroid problem. So dont worry.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Experiencing hypothyroidism symptoms. Labs test showed elevated T3. Should I be worried? 8 minutes later
Im getting a bit tired of the dont worry answer, when my quality of life, my relationships (severe PMS) etc is affected. I no longer even go anywhere because Im tired. I live in subtropical climate and I have frequent horrid diseases, boils etc. I have chronic allergies and digestive problems and Im sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Today especially my neck is so sore and my voice is like I spent all day yesterday yelling. Its uncomfortable to speak.

What about thyroid hormone resistance?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 26 minutes later
Im not denying any bit of what you are going thru. All that I wanted to say was that these symptoms cant be attributed to thyroid dysfunction. So thyroid isnt to be blamed. THR is distinctly rare and with the limited information we have it seems unlikely as well. But its too little information to be cent percent sure. I hope you understand. See a good endocrinologist. He will help in getting to the bottom of the problem and help to relieve most if not all of your complaints.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Experiencing hypothyroidism symptoms. Labs test showed elevated T3. Should I be worried? 12 minutes later
Wish I could see a specialist, but Im nowhere near one. My C-reactive was also elevated.

I have ALL the hypothyroid symptoms. Hair loss, feeling cold in hot weather, complete inability to sweat etc. I hardly have leg hair left on the lower half of my legs. All other blood/urnie tests are normal.

TSH lab range is .27 - 4.2 (my TSH is 5.58)
free t3 lab range 2.8-6.8 (my ft3 is 8.8)

T4 is normal. I have had hypothyroid symptoms since I was a teenager. My hands currently look like that of a 60 year old.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Repeat free t3 free t4 and tsh. Get shbg levels . If there is even a slightest abnormality in the report we can think about treating it.
Shivaprasad