Experiencing hip pain and side pain. Had UTI. Have toothache with gas. Suggest?

Dec 2012

I have been experiencing some hip pain and some side pain on my right side, like a dull ache...But i have had problems going to the bathroom and today im finally going okay...Could this be the cause of my ache on my side? It dosent hurt when i press on my side or anything...Feels like a toothache on my right side..I do have some gas too....Please dont tell me to get a colonoscopy or other expensive tests...If i could do this..I would go to the doctor. But we hardly have no money and I have no insurance. Thank you
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suspect you might be having a UTI

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

From your description and the fact that you had a history of urinary tract infection, i suspected the cause of your hip pain and side pain might be due to the another UTI or urinary tract stones. The hip pain might just be referred pain or pelvic floor pain due to the UTI. In any case you will need to get urine analysis (a dipstick could do) and get a prescription for antibiotics if my suspicion is right.
In the mean time, at home you may take OTC iboprofen or diclofenac or acetaminophen to relief from the pain but the definite treatment is identifying the cause and treating. Kidney stones might also be present but that can only be identified through an abdominal scan and I know that you mentioned that we should not suggest any expensive test but sorry, I had to mention and let you know the truth/facts despite your present financial situation.
I will also encourage you to take a lot of fluids/water.

Hope this helps and wish you the best
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Experiencing hip pain and side pain. Had UTI. Have toothache with gas. Suggest? 8 minutes later
Thank you for answering me...We have no money until tuesday to even go to fast care where i went last time and she diagnosed me with a UTI. Last time i had pain in my back and this time its by my hip is that normal? Does taking walks help? That seems to help me a lot...And i have been drinking cranberry juice and water that seems to help too. It seems to be a little better today now that I am going to the bathroom...But it dosent burn or anything when i go to the bathroom...Can i still have a UTI then?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Referred hip pain can be from UTI

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for updating,

I have had several cases of UTI that usually manifest with hip pain. Back pain is usually present but not always with UTI.
Given your age, you might also be suffering from fibromyalgia (which is me trying to be over suspicious as I do not think it is fibromyalgia) or sciatica (Yes walking and taking more fluids may help. Also doing some few sitting exercises might also be of value. You can get take OTC acetaminophen for relief while you are getting ready to go get some screening for UTI.

Hope this answers question further.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Experiencing hip pain and side pain. Had UTI. Have toothache with gas. Suggest? 9 minutes later
Thank you so much...This one pill im taking Simvastatin, my doctor told me to take half the dose or quit it cause it could cause fibromyalgia...So im taking half the pill now...So if its not a UTI maybe that could be it?

What kind of sitting exercises can i do?

thank you
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
well fibromyalgia is possible

Detailed Answer:

thanks for updating,

Simvastatin can lead to fibromyalgia as adverse effect but it is very rare though.
I am not much of an expert with physical therapy but I believe you could try looking up through searching online to find out the exact type of exercises that can help with your pelvic floor pain. Describing them now to you will seem very complicated but it is quite simple try to flex your hip joints and thigh muscles regularly while sitting.
That can help you immensely. You can check with a physical therapist to assist you with some few exercises.

Hope this helps further.
Dr. Nsah