Experiencing heart palpitations. Feeling quick irregular spasm and dizzy. Blood work done. Any treatment?

i am experiencing heart palpitations - feels like a quick irregular spasm - which then usually ends up in a panic attack because i'm frightened. in addition to this, I also get crazy hunger surges where i suddenly feel dizzy and then i'm about to faint - at which point i usually have a palpitation... and so the vicious circle goes round. Ruining my life and scared to exercise in case i have a heart attack. Hospital EKG and blood test for cardio (heart attack) were negative. Don't smoke, rarely drink. Don't take any drugs.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your question with diligence.
If I were to repeat that onset of palpitation is just like bolt from blue and it ends after a duration as abruptly it had set in? You agree to this presumption. It leaves you with panic hunger and thirst. Two possibilities will have to be considered in you.

Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia with panic attacks. Easily treatable by prescription drugs like Verapamil or Diltiazem with alprazolam. However, I am curious as to if you had been seen by a doctor or a nurse during the attack. What happens to your blood pressure for if BP rises during attack with anxiety that brings in the possibility of pheochromocytoma and you ought to be investigated for that.

Both are treatable conditions and you will be well soon.

If you have any further query, I will be most happy to answer.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW