Experiencing heart pain. Having head and chest cold, coughing up green flem. Chewing asprin. Could this be a virus in heart?

Question
Hi, I am a 51 year old woman I am experiencing heart pain, like someone is squeezing my heart every 20 seconds,
and its quite painful. I am fairly healthy, but the last week, I've had a head and chest coldI, with coughing up green flem.
I am feeling better, but my heart has been having this pain for about four days. Could it be a virus in my heart? My girlfriend had that before, and had to get a pace maker. I have been chewing 2 asprin in am, and 2 asprin in pm. I heard if you had heart pain, to chew asprin. What else should I consider?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 43 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for asking.

Heart pain or chest pain can be a very serious condition needing proper investigations and treatment as a small negligence can lead to potentially fatal consequences.

You seem to have a cold and green sputum, sometimes it is associated with the swelling in the linings of the lungs (pleuritis) and even the heart (pericarditis).

I think you need to see a doctor to schedule some some tests for your heart including EKG,Some blood tests and Echocardiography and X XXXXXXX of the chest.

It is not advisable to keep on taking the aspirin without establishing a diagnosis especially if the symptom is chest pain.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Follow-up: Experiencing heart pain. Having head and chest cold, coughing up green flem. Chewing asprin. Could this be a virus in heart? 46 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX XXXX,

Thank-you very much for your insightful answer. I will get my heart checked out
by the doctor. I did some research on pericarditis, and it seems this is a high possibility. My mom has a refill of DOXYCYCLINE HYCLATE 100 mg cap, 2x a day for her bronchitis she had last month. Do you think I could start taking that until I can get an appt. which is usually two weeks out? I'm thinking it could kill the infection perhaps in my lungs, and around my heart?

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later
This is not advisable.

Doxycycline is an antibiotic used only if there is an infection,you can take only aspirin or paracetamol for the pain, no other medication without proper diagnosis is advisable.

Follow-up: Experiencing heart pain. Having head and chest cold, coughing up green flem. Chewing asprin. Could this be a virus in heart? 3 days later
I did have a normal EKG the other day, and my heart has stopped hurting. I am still going to have everything checked out at my heart appointment next week. Thank you for all your great advice.

Sincerely,
XXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 5 minutes later
Thanks .