Experiencing headaches. Having lots of muscle soreness/loss. What can be done?

I have had at least 20 concussions in my life I played football in the 60s and 70s, where if you could say you name and repeat your phone # you were good to go. I'm now 60 and experience headaches constantly, I'm light blind, and finding lots of muscle soreness/loss. What the heck can I do????
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Amytriptyline, Gabapentin and Yoga, meditation.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

What you are experiencing now is a type of headache called Post Traumatic Headache of Post concussion Headache.

This is due to disruption of the nerve fibers in the brain due to the stretching or shearing forces of the trauma. Other subtle changes have been noted in brain functioning which may also cause head ache.
It may be cause for your light blind and muscle soreness.
The treatment of post-traumatic headache is symptomatic. Unfortunately, there is no medication that will alter the underlying disturbance in the brain.

My advise is to try Amytriptylline as it is useful in both depression and in chronic pain.
In addition, it is better to take combination of mecobalamine and gabapentin.

Some patients may respond for Migraine drugs like Sumatriptan.

Please follow my advises.
1. Eat health food, take plenty of fruits and vegetables.
2. Exercise regularly
3. Spend time with family members and grand children.
4. Avoid alcohol and smoking.
5. Practice relaxation methods like meditation and yoga.
6. Last by not least is attention to psychological factors. Get an Psychologist advise. Please make a group with peer age. Talk to family members, friends and co-workers and have peaceful life.

Hope this helps,
Please reply for further queries.