Experiencing headache, palpitations, loss of breath and heaviness after deliver. Guide

i had a baby 10 days ago and 2 days ago i just felt unwell. i have a blood pressure monitor at home and thought i would see what it was as i was getting flashing spots in my eyes, it was 188/110 and never came down over a 30 min period, i went to the local out of hours gp who sent me for an ECG which they said was normal, i had bloods taken and my urine dipped for protein, no protein so they ruled out pre-eclampsia, i have had a headache since 3 days post birth, i get lots of palpitations , im not breathless i just get a heavy feeling in my chest, my bloods came back with a slightly raised d-dimer so they are suspecting a clot on my lung, the gave me fragmin injections to cover me intill tomorrow when i have to have a vq scan on my lungs. could there be any other reason why i keep getting palpatations and could my d-dimer be raised because i have only just had a baby?
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello Ma'm
1. I just answered your query regarding palpitation in the previous thread. A high blood pressure can itself be associated with palpitations.
2. Yes, D-dimer can be raised in postpartum period and this is especially true if some surgical procedure was performed in hospital.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Experiencing headache, palpitations, loss of breath and heaviness after deliver. Guide 3 hours later
Palpitations are coming every 20-30 seconds , I am panicking aswell as I don't know what to do, my BP is now 189/100 and in sure thus is also high as I am panicking, is there anything I can do to reduce my BP naturally ? How is a vq scan performed ?
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 13 minutes later
Dear Ma'm
1. Please do not panic, as I have detailed you that most of the palpitations in the absence of blackouts/ vertigo/ Shortness of breath are benign.
2. A BP of 189/100 is definitely high and you should see your physician at once. I would not recommend you to try any therapy for same on your own. It has to be dealt in ER only.
3. A V/Q scan is a radio-nuclide based scan where one of the radio-nuclides is given intravenously (in the vein or blood vessel) to perfuse (fill) the blood vessels of lung and simultaneously another radio-nuclide is given to inhale to fill the lungs. A mismatch in the distribution of two is evaluated.
I would again request you not to panic and see your physician for high Blood pressure.