Experiencing headache, nausea, hot flashes and lightheartedness. Discharge of fluid from ear and ear pain. Should I go to ER?

Excellent

Question
I am a 42 yo female. Have been experiencing ongoing headaches and recently feelings of lightheadedness and periods of nausea and hot flashes. Have infrequent drainage of fluid from my eat but no ear pain. Well infrequent mild brief ear pain. Could all these be related or should I go to ER??
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am Dr. Ditah and feel particularly honored having this opportunity to address your health query today.
I am so sorry to hear about what you have been experiencing.

Given your age of 42 and the symptoms of ongoing headaches and recently feelings of lightheadedness and periods of nausea and hot flashes, I could have thought about peri-menopausal symptoms. In this case, I would have asked you to observe a little before making any doctors' visits.

However, it is never normal for fluid to drain out of the ears. Never normal and more so with infrequent mild brief ear pains. You need to be examined properly for this and offered appropriate treatment. Fluid drainage from the ear is most commonly caused by a perforation of the ear drum as a result of an infection. You will need an otoscopic exam(looking into the ears with a magnifier) to look for possible causes.

I will not recommend an ER visit now unless the pains becomes severe or you develop fever. I will recommend that you call and set up an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible to keep the cost low as it is not yet an emergency. If it should take longer than 5days to see her/him, then visiting an ER may be an easier way out to get solutions right away.

I hope I have answered your query fully.

Please, feel free to return to me with more question related to this query if need be. I am very happy addressing them.

I wish you get answers and solutions as soon as possible to this problem.

Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Experiencing headache, nausea, hot flashes and lightheartedness. Discharge of fluid from ear and ear pain. Should I go to ER? 1 hour later
Thank you doctor. I will do as you say. I was especially worried abt the lightheadedness nausea and hot flashes and just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly: those symptoms also do not warrant an ER visit- you don't think it's that I'm having a heart issue or neurological problem.... Thank you again for your knowledge.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 39 minutes later
Hi and thank you so much for this follow up.

You say this has been going on for a while and i have not seen any redflags from your history to suggest this could be heart attack or neurological problem that needs immediate urgent attention.

Could they be related to the heart or the neurological system? Yes, though the probability is very low unless there is something more that you haven't mentioned.

Do you need to go to the ER now? NO.

Do you need to see your physician? Yes

When? As soon as possible.

If you have no further questions related to the above query, you may consider closing the discussion at this time. Please remember to rate the answer and write a review. We sincerely care about our clients and hope you do return to use our services in future if need be.
Wish you a speedy resolution.
Dr. Ditah, MD.