Experiencing headache and unable to sleep. On saridon. Suggest some effective medicine

Nov 2013

From last few years my cousin is experiencing headache which is one sided and only back side/center of head and upper portion of shoulders. Unable to sleep until he takes some drug. Previously he used to take nicin or nicip and currently depending on saridon. And sometimes occasionally with cold climate or with starring at computer at work , uneven position of sleeping posture are also causes. Could you please help in this regard. Previously meditation for a few minutes before sleep reduced the frequency of headache but not completely. I heard this might be one of headaches (tension headache). Please suggest some medication or doctor.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The commonest causes of headache are migraine and tension headache. For both the condition, the diagnosis can be made on the basis of description of symptoms, and no test is necessary for diagnosis. Here, I am listing the features favouring these two conditions-

1. Tension headache: pain is located at the back of head or neck, tends to be more in evenings, person feels fresh in the mornings on waking up. There is no nausea or vomiting. Massage at back of head or neck relieves the headache.

2. Migraine- in this condition, pain can occur at any time, may be one-sided and should last for more than four hours. Nausea or vomiting is present. Headache is more on exposure to light or noise. Family history of migraine is often present.

However, one should remember that in some cases, features of both migraine and tension headache are present, also referred to as mixed headache syndrome.

As far as your cousin is concerned, he has some features of migraine as well as tension headache.

Saridon, if taken 2-4 per month, is safe.

Also, his problem is not due to eye problem or sinus problem.

He should consult a neurologist for correct diagnosis and treatment.

I hope it is helpful. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad