Experiencing full body spasms, no pain. What could it be?

Nov 2013

Lately I've been experiencing what I can only call a full-body spasm just as I'm trying to go to sleep. I used to get similar episodes in my legs, but now it's my whole body. There's no pain or anything, but I find it troubling. What could it be, and what should I do?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.

Myoclonic jerks involving a part of body (arm or leg) or the whole body are common while falling asleep. However, most often, they do not cause any discomfort.
If they are occasional and minor, there is no need to worry.
However, if they are severe or more frequent, an electroencephalogram (EEG) and an evaluation by a neurologist would be needed.
I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Follow-up: Experiencing full body spasms, no pain. What could it be? 33 hours later
The EEG would be to find out if I'm having seizures?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for getting back.
Yes, EEG is required to rule out seizure, in your case, it isrequired to rule out myoclonuc seizures.

Best wishes,