Experiencing fever, chest congestion, body aches, stuffiness in nose and headache. Safe to wait for few days then visit doctor?

I am a 37 year old, healthy, female who has been experiencing a fever, chest congestion, body aches, stuffiness in my nose, and a mild headache for the past day and a half. It started as what felt like cold symptoms. I am also coughing up thick mucous, but not a lot. My fever (generally 101.5+) will break with Tylenol but then returns about 5 hours later. The fever has gotten as high as 102.9. My instinct is to wait it out for a few more days to see if my fever goes away completely before seeing a doctor. I suspect I may have walking pneumonia or possibly the flu, though I did get a flu shot in the fall. Safe to wait a few days to see if the fever breaks? Thanks in advance!
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 6 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concerns,
I have gone through your history; your symptoms are of cough and cold which suggest possibly due to viral infection or atypical Pneumonia?

It takes 3 to 5 days in most cases to recover from such illness, you can take Tylenol every 6 hours for fever and body ache.

Please take steam inhalation 2 or 3 times a day, which helps in bringing out mucous.Please keep yourself well hydrated, by taking lot of lot of fluids, please take adequate rest.

Please remain alert for any warning symptoms or signs of emergency such as breathing difficulty.

Take good diet with adequate vitamins like B complex and vitamin C.
If you do not improve in 2-3 days or any warning sign please consult your Physician.

Hope this information helps and if you have any doubt please ask me, I will be happy to help.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Experiencing fever, chest congestion, body aches, stuffiness in nose and headache. Safe to wait for few days then visit doctor? 16 hours later
Hello Dr. Dubey,
Thank you for your response. I visited an urgent care this morning to get tested for the flu, which is what I strongly suspected I had. I was running a fever of 104 last night and had difficulty getting it down. I tested positive for influenza A. I'm surprised because I got a flu shot this year and it's so late in the flu season. I was able to get on Tamiflu because I was in the 48 hour window of onset. Thought it might be helpful for you to know this information. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 7 hours later
Thanks for your input,

This is good you visited ER, it is conformed that you have Influenza A and right treatment TAMIFLU (Neuraminidase inhibitors oseltamivir) started.
I wish you speedy recovery.

It is possible to have Influenza due to various serotypes and virus changes antigen.

Please take adequate rest; also take care of diet and hydration.
In this condition Alcohol and Aspirin must be avoided, can use paracetamol.
Please keep me informed about progress.
Please take care.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.