Experiencing fatigue, dizziness, thirst, frequent urination and weight gain. What is wrong?

My husband is extremely thirsty, urinates frequently, has gained a lot of weight, and is extremely fatigued. What is wrong with him? Also has dizzy spells
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 28 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

From the symptoms your husband is experiencing, there could be two possibilities. They are:
-Diabetes: has symptoms like polyuria (increased frequency of urination), polydipsia (increased thirst) and weight changes. The dizzy spells could be due to a drop in blood sugar.
-Urinary tract infection: (frequent urination, increased urge to pass urine, feeling of incomplete emptying of bladder, dehydration due to loss of fluids results in increased thirst). Usually no weight changes seen. Dizzy spells are less common, but can be seen due to severe dehydration

In my opinion further investigation will surely help in reaching a diagnosis, which will accordingly help in treating your husband for his complaints. Investigations can include a urine analysis (which will help in finding signs of an infection; and sugar/glucose seen in diabetics), a urine culture (would help in finding the infection-causing organism and the most suitable antibiotic to treat it), and glycemic profile (which will help in diagnosing diabetes-if present).

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Experiencing fatigue, dizziness, thirst, frequent urination and weight gain. What is wrong? 21 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX You were correct in your 1st possibility. My husband has diabetes. He was admitted this evening to the hospital with a blood sugar level of 498. -- XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 minutes later

I am really sorry to hear this, if only I could have helped you earlier. I sincerely wish and hope your husband recovers soon.

A healthy lifestyle and dietary modification will surely help your husband live a normal life. I wish him all the best.

Please do convey my best to him. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you. You could also rate my answer after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.