Experiencing excuriating pain in knees into feet. Diagnosed with Polyarteritis nodsa. Had frayed artery removed. Suggestions?

Hi, I am a 68 year old female. I am experiencing excuriating pain in my knees, down my shins and into my feet, now today am also getting them in my back and chest, 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Polyarteritis nodsa, and had a frayed artery removed from my arm, 3 months ago I was given radio active iodine for hyper throidisim. Could these symptoms be side effects of either the above. At the moment I am on no medication. All I know Im feeling pretty misserable, and one minute Im freezing the next Im cooking. Any help would be appreciated . Regards XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 34 minutes later

Radio active iodine is usually inert and do not cause any damage to other organs except thyroid, sometimes.

Polyarteritis nodosa you had in past if not treated well with immune modulators can lead to blood vessel damage and subsequent thrombosis resulting in ischemia of the organs specially like the joints and the end organs(fingers, toes etc).

Any joint can be affected in this disease. The ischemic changes are presented very early in the joints as they are active structures.

Also considering your age, conditions like low calcium levels, osteoporosis and osteoarthritic joint pains may have to be ruled out by examination and a set of tests like Serum calcium levels, ESR(erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP(C-reactive protein) etc.

Meanwhile do apply DICLOFENAC gel to get relief from the pain.

Hope, I answered your query.

Follow-up: Experiencing excuriating pain in knees into feet. Diagnosed with Polyarteritis nodsa. Had frayed artery removed. Suggestions? 2 hours later
As I said I have already been diagnosed correctly and have had a vascular graft 4 days ago Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later

You are welcome.