Experiencing episodes of sharp electric shock like pain in heart. Should I visit ER?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I am 76 years old, no history of heart disease in my family, in good health, no prescription meds, but have been experiencing episodes of sharp, short pain in the area of my heart. It almost feels like an electrical shock. They last no more than one to two seconds. They started about four days ago with about 20 episodes of varying intensity that day. The last two days have been minimal but today they have started back up again although not as intense. Should I go to the ER? XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you answer some queries like :-
1. Whether your pain was radiating to some other part of your body like left arm/shoulder/jaw?
2. Whether the pain was associated with prespiration?
3. Any problem in breathing during the pain?

I would suggest that you should go to the ER and get an ECG done and blood tested for lipid profile and cardiac enzymes to rule out any cardiac cause. This is preliminary and effective testing.

You can take isosorbide nitrate 5 mg sublingually for immediate relief in pain caused by heart.

Also take antacid like Rabeprozole 20 mg along with Domperidone 10 mg for pain due to acidity and gas.

Avoid spicy and oily foods.

If the problem persists, get yourself examined by a cardiologist.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any furthur query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.