Experiencing electrical shock like episodes from diaphragm area to hip bone. Should I be concerned?

My daughter is 15 and been complaining of electrical shock-like episodes that run down her sides from about her diaphram area to her hip bone. She said it feels like a straight line that radiates towards her back, but zips down to the hip area. I am not sure if this is just part of growing pains, or if it is something I should be concerned about.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The shock like episodes on her sides is suggestive of a neural ( nerve compression or nerve irritation related) cause. The nerve involvement symptoms may be there due to soft tissue swelling or due to inflammation in the nerve itself.
These neural pains are a challenging thing to treat as careful examination is needed to ascertain the level of nerve involvement.
Many causes of such sensations are there. These include injury to the back or spinal cord, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in the body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause such sensations. She can take some methylcobalamin supplements till you consult her neurophysician.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.