Experiencing electrical brain zaps while sleeping. Taking thyroid medicine. Should I visit ER?

brain zapsI am having electrical brain zaps while sleeping. as I fall asleep I wake up suddenly by a volt of electricity that I even see. these zaps are now coming two at a time. I am on a thyroid medicine and adderall for over a year. I just stopped taking Viibryd 40mg yesterday because of these brain zaps. I called my Dr and he said this drug is safe to just stop. I wasn't feeling these zaps until I got up to the 40mg tablets that I have taken for 11 days now. just yesterday the zaps started. not sure if it is drug related or not. this is scary and I don't know.whether I need to go into the er. no zaps if I stay up all night. can u help me?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your problem and I have noted your medical history.

The possibilities that I think are 1. Anxiety related 2. Remote possibility of sleep disorder, called as parasomnia

I suggest you to get evaluated by a neurologist who will arrange an overnight polysomnograpy. Generally it is a simple test, done in sleep lab. You just have to sleep in the lab with few electrodes on the head and chin. This test will not interfere with your sleep at all. This test also reads your brain functions.

If this test rules out the possibility of sleep-related problem as I discussed above, then I suggest you to get reevaluated by a psychiatrist and consider counseling and if required medicines.

Hope this clarifies your query.

Please get back to me, if you have any other concern

Best wishes,