Experiencing dull pain on knees, specially when lifting weights. Suggest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Currently, I am experiencing dull pain on the interior part of my left knee. It seems to be a little swollen. The problem started back in last October and for a while, it seems to subside. I noticed since when I lifted a heavy bag of grocery, the pain has moved to the upper part of my knee. I'm female, 61 and average weight for my height. My physical activities include gardening for four hours a day including normal housework and I do not work out. I feel I am getting enough exercise by doing these chores. Should I continue to work with my pain or should I give it a rest? Please advise
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should give adequate rest for a few days.

Detailed Answer:

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests, your history is suggestive of osteoarthritis left knee. Osteoarthritis treatments can slow the progression of the disease, relieve pain and improve joint function.

You should give adequate rest for a few days. Once the acute pain subsides, do regular knee exercise which can increase your endurance and strengthen the muscles around your joint, making your joint more stable. Stick to gentle exercises, such as walking or swimming.

Use heat and cold to manage pain. Both heat and cold can relieve pain in your joint. Heat also relieves stiffness and cold can relieve muscle spasms.
Apply over-the-counter pain creams or gels which may provide temporary relief from osteoarthritis pain.
Take diet XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamin D3 and minerals.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.