Experiencing dull pain in chest. What is causing this and what is the required treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My daughter has been experienceing dull chest pain which leaves her with no energy and wanting to sleep most of the time. Today the pain was around her rib area followed by cold sweats.
She has had this chest pain before which brings her to tears and has had an ECG which came back all clear she is 21 years of age, works full time and also is studying at Uni.
Hope you are able to help.
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The pain in the rib cage with loss of energy is likely to be due to Costochondritis.
It is good that her cardiac and pulmonary status are normal.
Inflammation of costochondral joints is mostly due to a genetic predisposition. There are some autoimmune disorders also which need to be ruled out for their association like- fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis reactive arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease).
I hope she is not having any problems related to any other joint pains and bowel movements.
Pain killers, antiinflammatory drugs- steroids and lidocaine patch are the main treatments. You need discuss all options available with her orthopedician for proper treatment.
Meanwhile doing a hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. She may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Experiencing dull pain in chest. What is causing this and what is the required treatment? 15 hours later
Dr Tayal, you didn;t mention anything about the chest pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
The chest pain if it is not associated with any shortness of breath is likely to be related to costochondritis. An evaluation by an Orthopedician will help in proper diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.