Experiencing dry lips. Tested negative for HSV 1 and 2 and HIV. Blood comes while squeezing. Treatment?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I have been experiencing dry lips lately. Today, I noticed I have a small open spot on my lips. I have been recently tested for HSV1 and 2, as well as HIV and all are negative. However, this spot is alarming and I just want to make sure it does not look like anything to worry about. It appears up close to be from a crack in the lip, and I can squeeze blood from it. It does not hurt or tingle, and I have no fever.
Here are links to the photos:
Thank you!!
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later

Thanks for the query. I have viewed the pictures posted in the link.

Dry and cracked lip may be due various causes other than Herpes (HSV) and HIV.

In HSV, it is rather vesicles and ulcer than a dry and cracked lip. HIV chelitis (Inflammation of lip) is a late manifestation. Besides, as these tests were negative you don't bother about sexually transmitted causes.

Repeated lip licking with your tongue or teeth bites, external applications, extreme climate changes or changes in your tooth paste are some of the other causes.

The spots do not concern me; but if you are bothered you may consult a competent dermatologist who after careful examination can identify the exact cause and treat it (if needed).

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more doubts feel free to ask.

Dr S.Murugan