Experiencing dry and itchy labia minora. What is the required treatment?

Hi, just recently I've started experiencing dry itchiness of my labia minora. I assumed that it was simply due to excessive dry friction during sexual activity. That of which I've refrained from having since I've experienced this irrating rash. It only starts to itch when I wipe after using the restroom. I figured using petroleum jelly would help restore the moisture and expedite the healing process. At first it appeared to look like a small rash. Today, I noticed that it now looks more light pink (naturally darker) similar to my vaginal opening. It's also no longer smooth. I want to believe that it simply is "scabbing over" in the healing process. I wash daily with feminine wash and also use an anti-bacteria/anti- fungal/anti-viral spray on occasion. It is not unusual for my husband and I to go without condoms. I don't believe that it is an STD, though. There is no discharge or other symptoms and I've tested clear, my last annual check-up. I was planning on waiting it out, but may need to schedule an appointment with my primary physician. Please advise. I appreciate your time and professional opinion.
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The itching of labia along with scabbing over can be due to allergy to some detergents or fabrics, vaginitis or yeast infection or prolonged stress and poor hygiene. The exact diagnosis can only be made after a detailed examination.
In most of these cases oral antifungals and antibiotics are needed like azithromycin to get a relief.
To prevent and treat this prolonged itching:
1. Avoid colored or perfumed toilet tissue and bubble bath.
2. Avoid feminine hygiene sprays and douches
3. Change out of wet clothing, especially wet bathing suits or exercise clothing, as soon as possible.
4. Cleanse the area by wiping or washing from front to back (vagina to anus) after urinating or having a bowel movement.
5. Eat yogurt with live cultures or take Lactobacillus acidophilus tablets when using antibiotics. Check with your doctor.
6. Keep your genital area clean and dry. Use plain, unscented soap.
7.Lose weight if you are overweight.
8.Wear cotton panties or pantyhose with a cotton crotch. Avoid panties made from synthetic materials.
9. Get your fasting blood sugar checked to rule out diabetes.
It is also helpful to:
* Avoid overexertion, heat, and excessive sweating.
* Avoid scratching, which will only aggravate the problem.
* Delay sexual activity until your symptoms get better, or use a lubricant during intercourse.
* Use condoms to avoid catching or spreading sexually transmitted diseases.
You can use antifungal creams like Cotrimazole for relief. Keep the area dry and apply Neosporin powder after consulting your Primary Physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.