Experiencing dizziness. Blood pressure 143/80. Do not get enough sleep. What should I do?

Hi I have been experiencing dizziness -I work in healthcare-I took my pressure and it is 143/80 I know I don't get enough sleep but this symptom is scary to me -what should I be doing.
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below....

Detailed Answer:

I have read your concerns carefully. I am sorry for the situation you are in, but, at the same time, happy to hear that you have decided to stop smoking.

Now, please bare in mind that individuals who decide to stop smoking do experience dizziness. So, you need time to recover and to adapt to the new situation without cigarettes.

On the other hand, you are saying that you are already taking e-cigarettes. Although these machines have shown their efficacy in helping people to stop smoking; however, they do carry their own risks too which is related to the amount of nicotine these machines have.

As you are currently working in the healthcare, I wanted to remind that nicotine itself cause dizziness.

So, as you may see, there are 2 main factors contributing to dizziness in you: ceasing smoking and nicotine level of e-cigarettes.

At this point, I would only recommend to have patience. Generally, dizziness will be gone with time. And this is what you really need: Time and Patience.

Meanwhile, if I were your caring doctor would also recommend some simple steps of alleviating dizziness at home:

1. - Please breathe slowly and deeply inhale,

2. - Hold the breathe for 5 seconds,

3. - After that, you can exhale slowly

This is what I usually advise to my patients.

I would also suggest to drink more fluids (preferebly water). And, the most important thing is to keep on exercising (at least, light exercises can help).

Next, as you are 56, if I were your caring doctor would also ask if you entered menopause, ask for the hormones levels and a complete blood profile to exclude anemia.

At the end, although my suggestions, they should not be scaring you, because they are perfectly normal. You need time to overcome such situation through using the right measurements as advised above.

All the best! Hope it answered to your question!

p.s. If you have more concerns, please write back to me.
Follow-up: Experiencing dizziness. Blood pressure 143/80. Do not get enough sleep. What should I do? 3 hours later
Thank you Dr. Shehu

I will follow your suggestions-You put my mind to rest.
thank you thank you thank you
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're most welcome.

Detailed Answer:

You're most welcome.

Glad to hear that my suggestions helped alleviate your situation.

Wish you good health.