Experiencing discomfort between neck and shoulder. What is causing this?

I have been experiencing slender discomfort around the location between neck and the shoulder on the right side, It goes with some rest but keeps coming back. These are signs of survical somebody has suggested me, I wanted to know.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
The mild discomfort between the neck and the shoulder can be due to a muscular strain due to abnormal neck positions or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
4. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
5. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.