Experiencing difficulty in learning new things and having memory problems

Nov 2013

Please direct query to Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX as he this is a follow-up question for an earlier treatment provided by him. Hi Doctor, As suggested, I have taken Piracetam 1200 mg. for 2 more months, and have stopped it around 3-4 weeks back. Though I see improvement in concentration and cognitive abilities, I believe that I did not have the necessary magnitude of improvement. Still facing the below symptoms: I get very easily distracted by things and find it hard to focus on one task for long time. Feel it difficult to learn new things and find it hard to comprehend complex things. I have also observed that I am experiencing memory problems. I can relate to most of the symptoms of ADHD, especially the ones related to concentration and impulsivity. Do you think that could be the cause for my problems? Regards, XXXX
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX Though ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) has features very similar to what you have, it is essentially a disease of childhood. This means that the symptoms of ADHD must begin very early in childhood, often noted in children at age 2-4 (symptoms must begin before the age of six). Therefore, most cases of ADHD I have seen are in children, and some in adolescents. Though, theoretically, in a small percentage of cases, ADHD may persist unto adulthood. You can get evaluated by a psychologist or a psychiatrist to confirm or exclude a diagnosis of ADHD. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: