Experiencing cramps and slightly yellow mucus in stool. What am I suffering from?

This morning I experienced four healthy feeling, normal no well movements of medium to large volume. By erarly afternoon, I felt cramps indicating another, but the discharge was a mostly clear, slightly yellow mucous. This has occurred twice more with the same discharge. I feel the urge to evacuate the bowels, but nothing emerge but the mucous, and ot very much volume of it. The odor is a slight ammonia, almost sweet smell ... A ideas ?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 8 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Possibly, you are suffering for a mild intestinal infection likely food or water borne.

Most likely, it should settle down with time. Take a probiotic and a mild anti diarrheal, if it does not settle in a day. It is also worthwhile getting a stool routine and culture examination done, if it does not settle in a day or two.

Do watch for blood in stools, if it is present, then consult a doctor.
Drink lot of water to ensure that you do not get dehydrated.

Not to worry about stool smell.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a speedy recovery.