Experiencing cramping fingers, hot flushes and chest pain. Having BP. Suggest

Hi my blood pressure at its lowest over the past couple of days has been 134 over 88 with a pulse rate of 80 and at its highest has been 154 over 109 with a pulse rate of 108. It varies imbetween these rates. I have been experiencing cramping fingers, hot flushes and chest pain today and I have chest pain right now. However I have been taking a lot of stimulants, today I had a redbull, and throughout the course of the day I had 3 coffees. I am a heavy coffee drinker and take stimulants before I go to the gym. I am training for a sports modelling comp at the moment, so am very strict on my diet. I just want to know, should I be concerned, or is it just my use of stimulants and scrupulous diet. I don't want to go to the hospital to feel like I am over reacting. I would love some advice, as I am stressing out and don't know what to do.
I forgot to mention, that I also took a restavit about half an hour ago, as I take them every so often to sleep. I took it thinking it would relax me, as I have been highly stressed, to bring my heartrate down. It hasn't changed the status of my readings.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 41 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with training and certification in cardiology. I read your mail with diligence. Coming to your legitimate concern about hypertension and symptoms of chest pain.
As you are 27 yrs , but your lowest B.P recording of 134/88 which falls under category of pre hypertension group, and your highest falls under hypertension group.
As you are telling that you regularly consume several stimulants , coffee, and you also having severe stress, these thing will definitely increase your risk of getting hypertension and associated cardiac problems.
So you have to quit all stimulants you are using , decrease coffee consumption to once or twice daily.
Avoid stress , practice some stress relief methods, and decrease the salt intake,
these type of life style modification methods will postpone the hypertension.
Regular monitoring of B.P should continue, inspite of all these measures if it is more than 140/90 , you should consult physician and take advise.
If you have any further query I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover

Follow-up: Experiencing cramping fingers, hot flushes and chest pain. Having BP. Suggest 7 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I think a lifestyle change is in order, and I will take on your advice and lay off the stimulants. I have a family history of heart problems, my uncle died at 46, my aunty at 52 from heart related problems, and my dad is 54 and just had a triple bypass. I guess being young makes you feel like you are can get away with it and are not at risk. I think an attitude change is also in order. It's times like this when I feel a little vunrable and knowing that I am not feeling how I should is a bit of a wake up call. I just didn't want to go to the hospital unnecessarily, wait for hours and get sent home because I am being over paranoid.
Thanks again. I appreciate your time and advice.
Kindest Regards,
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 16 minutes later
There are several risk factors for atherosclerotic coronary artery disease. In women, estrogen has protective role and after menopause this protection is gone. To that extent coronary artery disease is related to woman. all the known risk factors for coronary artery disease the list shall be as follows:
1. Being a Male(for women above 45 Coronary artery disease is as common as men)
2. Increasing Age
3. Genetic predisposition to coronary artery disease
1 Hypertension (high BP)
2.High Bad Cholesterol (LDL, Triglycerides)
3.Low Good Cholesterol (HDL)
4. Diabetes
5. Smoking
6. Stress
7. Obesity and sedentary life style
8. For elderly Homocysteine level is a risk factor

So, you can see more than one risk factor is usually involved in causation. There is nothing like familial coronary artery disease. To say that genetic factors are partly responsible for coronary artery disease and are non modifiable. The modifiable factors do also have some component which is genetic.
So life style modification has a major role in prevention of heart disease and post pone hypertension.
good luck.