Experiencing chills and fatigue, waking up with cold sweat. Having painful bowels. Suggested inflammatory bowel disease. Cause?

General Surgeon
Hi, I have had a cough for over a month now and it doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. Sometimes it is slightly phlegmy but usually it's dry and irritated. For what it's worth I live in a cold damp house and it is the start of winter here (I live in Auckland) and I have also been under a lot of stress in the last couple of months. I also have been experiencing chills and fatigue and feeling very cold and have been waking up covered in cold sweat a couple of nights in the last week. Any ideas what this could be?

As an aside (I don't think it's related but you never know!) I have been referred by my GP to a gastroenterologist for what he believes is an inflammatory bowel disease as I have been experincing quite painful bowel movements. So it is possible that I am already run down?

Thanks for your help!
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 31 minutes later
As per your query,it looks like you are having Viral infection.As you are having cough with phlegm it looks like bacterial infection has added.
Another possibility is cough variant of asthma.
So,you should take good respiratory antibiotic like Clarithromycin with the advice of your doctor.
You need an inhaler too.
Painful bowel movements need not be Inflammatory bowel disease.It can be due to infection of gut.Let the investigations be completed.If you come back after your tests i can clarify further
Wish you good health
Follow-up: Experiencing chills and fatigue, waking up with cold sweat. Having painful bowels. Suggested inflammatory bowel disease. Cause? 8 minutes later
Hi, thanks. I will see my GP re: the cough. Is it likely that asthma can return in adulthood?

Regarding the inflammatory bowel disease, I did a stool sample and was tested for Calprotectin which came back positive, but I am finding that the pain is appearing in different places (it used to be higher in the abdomen and seemed to be much worse when I ate gluten/wheat, lately it had been on the lower right hand side with occasional cramping up higher in the middle of my abdomen again and it is rarely affected by what I'm actually eating). Is it unusual for the pain to move to different places like this/react to different types of food at different times?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 9 hours later
ASthma can affect adults also.
Fecal Calprotectin is raised in inflammatory bowel disease.
AS the bowels occupy the entire abdomen,the pain will occur in various places.
Diet has some relationship with ulcerative colitis.Carbonated drinks,caffeine,fresh fruit etc should be avoided.
Stopping Gluten in diet has improved the symptoms in Crohn's disease in few people.
Please avoid it if it is causing symptoms.
Please confirm your diagnosis by your doctor and get proper treatment.
Wish you good health and speedy recovery