Experiencing chest pain whilst breathing. On nitrofurantoin for UTI. Could it be pneumonia?
User rating for this question
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I would like to have some additional details before answering your question.
Where exactly is the pain... the centre of the chest, right side / left side?
How would you describe the pain? (Severe, tearing or ripping, sharp, stabbing, burning, squeezing, tight, pressure-like, crushing, aching, dull, heavy)?
Does the pain go from your chest into your shoulder, arm, neck, jaw, or back?
Any history of breathlessness, palpitations etc?
I will be in a better position to answer your query once I get the above details.
The possibilities are musculoskeletal pain probably due to costochondritis (inflammation at the site where the ribs join the breast bone/sternum). An over the counter pain relief medication might help, if this is the case.
As you said , Pneumonia can present with chest pain. But normally pneumonia would present with high grade fever, cough with sputum, blood stained sputum etc.Other possibilities are pericarditis/pleurisy.
You said you are obese. How about your blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels? Have you got it checked/is it normal?
Any history of heart disease in the family?
Other possibilities are acidity/ gastritis/GERD which normally present with a burning kind of chest pain.
If the chest pain is severe and persisting, please don't wait any longer. Please visit your physician as soon as possible.
Hope you feel better soon.
Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
People also viewed
- Symptoms of experiencing chest pain
- Chest pain shoulder blade pain
- Dark spots on arch of feet
- Radiology test for blood clot
- Breath control masks
- Dizzy headache heart beating fast and hard
- Diagnosis of experiencing chest pain
- Do eye drops affect the hcg diet
- Do cortisone injections cause menstrual cramps
- Experiencing chest pain causes
- Do i smell bad when i have bartonella henselae
- Why experiencing chest pain tightness and shortness of breath
- Heartburn cause shortness of breath
- Lung bleeding symptoms
- Treatment and cure for experiencing chest pain