Experiencing chest pain, shortness of breath. ECG and chest x-ray normal. How to overcome this?

Hello m name is XXXXXXX i often have chest pain and its always on my left side but its all over on my left side. Sometimes in my sternum, top of chest, and side of ribs. I have taken a echocardiogram and everything came back normal but still expierence chest pain reguraly. Also had a chest xray which was also normal, this has been on going for 9 months now. I expirence shortness of breathe as well. I dont know what it could be but im sick of not knowing and would love a second opinion
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 44 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

A normal chest X-ray is reassuring. No major problems in the lungs and ribs.
A normal ECHO is again comforting – it shows the wall, valves and function.

It could be anxiety or some abnormality of arteries and so on.

The next step is stress test – TMT (Treadmill Exercise ECG Test) / preferably with thallium isotope – it will be the ideal way to evaluate ischemia. This is to assess the physiology (function). You are rather young - and there may not be a serious affliction / all the same it is better to be reassured.

If there is a suggestion, the next step is to see the anatomy. There may be anomalies of the arteries, at this age. You may undergo catheterisation and coronary angiography. Coronary arteriography is invasive but it is the gold standard for this. CT angio is non-invasive study for the anatomy. If positive, one will need catheterisation, anyway.

Wishing speedy recovery
Follow-up: Experiencing chest pain, shortness of breath. ECG and chest x-ray normal. How to overcome this? 24 minutes later
Can anxiety realky cause chest pain? My heart doesnt race or anything which leads me to think its not anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 11 minutes later

Fast rate is common, but not universal
Anxiety can cause spasm of chest wall muscle.
it can exacerbate any symptom.
It is usually an exclusion diagnosis - after several tests