Experiencing chest pain and tickle in throat with dry cough. Any thoughts?

I am experiencing a tickle in my throat that doesn't seem to be going away - I would describe it tickle that is creating a dry cough. I'm also experiencing some mild pain in my chest just below the sternum, although it is not a regular pain, it seems to occur more after meals. any thoughts??
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The area just below the sternum is called the epigastric region and it is where the stomach is anatomically located, this is why it is occurring after some of your meals. So it would be said that you are experiencing epigastric pain.
Epigastric pain can be due to a number of reasons such as:(1) GERD- this is a common reason for this discomfort. It can, in some but not all persons, be associated with other symptoms such as bloating, regurgitation of food, burning pain, in severe cases -vomiting (2) intolerance to particular foods- this would be discovered by noting the foods that provoke the pain response (3) peptic ulcer disease- this can be caused by medication, presence of a particular bacteria in the stomach called H pylori which can be identified on blood test (4) presence of any lesions within the stomach

Though , in some persons, GERD and peptic ulcer disease can cause irritation of the throat due to the acid refluxing , the main cause is usually related to the sinuses or the nasal passages.
In some, there may be additional symptoms such as a post nasal drip.
This symptom , if irritating, usually resolves with use of a topical nasal spray and an antihistamine which can be prescribed by your doctor.

You may want to consider, if possible , visiting your doctor for an assessment of your symptoms.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions