Experiencing chest flutters. Above breast bone. Getting worried. What is it? What can help?

I have been experiencing what I think is chest flutters, I get them about 4 - 5 times a day not sure how to describe it. Its not really in my chest or heart area its more in the middle of the chest but above the breast bone. Getting worried now any advice on what it could be would be helpfull. Don't know if it's something I should get checked out.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later

You are 33 years of age and are sufferring from 'chest flutters' 4-5 times a day in the middle of the chest under breast bone. Well the causes could be many.

Commenest is hypertension, so do get your blood pressure checked.

Then it could be due to anaemia, less hemoglobin leads to more water content in blood and extra load on heart leading to palpitations and 'flutter', get your hemoglobin checked.

Then it could be due to thyroid hyper function, do you also sweat a lot and have lost weight?

Another common condition is MVP or mitral valve prolapse that can be diagnosed on an echo-cardiography, although a cardiac condition, it is not serious.

Hope this answers your query.