Experiencing burning thrush in vagina, swollen eyelid and blisters on tongue. Allergic to penicillin. Any cure?

I started a course of Doxitab 100mg daily yesterday (for a month) 20 minutes later I experienced butning thrush in my vagina, an hour later my tohgue swelled up and little white -painful blister occurred on my tongue, along the sides and underneath. My left eyelid swelled to a pink colour, on my right hand at the base of my thumb and index finger, a painful lumpy rash broke out on the upper side; and on my left hand a large swollen blood blister slowly grew (very painful on touvh) - this was on the inside of my hand! I am allergic to penicillan -does this mean I am also allergic to Tetracyclinne? How do relieve the symptoms?
Many thanks
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

The symptoms you had soon after ingestion of the Doxitab (Doxycycline) are clear indicators of you having an Hypersensitivity reaction to the medication.

Yes, it is common to see people hypersensitive to penicillin be allergic to tetracycline also,though the mechanism of allergy involved is different in both.

First ,you have to stop the drug.

Since the symptoms are moderate,a oral antihistamine like Benadryl taken twice daily for two days would suffice.
If the symptoms do not reduce to half even after two doses of Benadryl you may be needing an Intravenous shot of antihistaminic or even adrenaline if the reaction is sustained and progressive.

Yes, Doxitab would have been advised by your treating doctor to prevent infections.

Silicon leakage does not cause any serious problem as they are physiologically inert.If there was a leakage rarely that may be marked by mild inflammation in the vicinity.The inflammation would present with mild oedema and redness in the tissues.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.