Experiencing burning sensation in back after taking pep. Is p24 antigen test reliable after having protected sex?

Excellent

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
I had sex with one gal last week Saturday but i used condom.. But i feared and went to doctor they prescribed pep. Im continue that medicine last week but now i feel burning my back .. im too scared what i need to do next ? and also I took p24 antigen test at 80 th hour . the result came Negative.. this result is reliable with in 80 hours ?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Protectedsex negligible risk.4 week P24 conclusive Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. Nothing to worry at all. PEP is not at all necessary. Having started complete a course of these drugs for 4 weeks. The combination given to you as PEP is not an ideal for PEP. You had a protected exposure. First of all, the HIV risk of vaginal penetrative sex is just 5/10000 exposures as per CDC, Atlanta. Yours was a protected exposure. So you risk is negligible. Burning sensation of your back may settle spontaneously or you may have to take some antacid gel for few days. P24 Antigen test will be sensitive as early as 80 hours but more conclusive after 4 weeks. But I assure that you are unlikely to be infected with HIV as you had a protected intercourse. DR S.Murugan

Follow-up: Experiencing burning sensation in back after taking pep. Is p24 antigen test reliable after having protected sex? 13 minutes later
My only worry is I used 2 condoms at time. It was not came out. Me only removed from my sex part. But i didnt notice is it bust or not . thats only worries for me. Can you advise ?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Double condoms high protection,noworry even broken Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX. Welcome back. One condom itself offers a high degree of protection. With double condoms there is no chance for HIV at all. Even in case, one of the condoms broken, even then there is adequate protection is there with double condoms. If it had been slipped when you remove the penis after intercourse there is no chance for the direct contact with vaginal fluid. So you have no risk for HIV. nOTHING TO WORRY. Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Experiencing burning sensation in back after taking pep. Is p24 antigen test reliable after having protected sex? 3 hours later
What type of HIV is more in South Africa? Which type is more XXXXXXX ? How many year can live if we treated early?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer: HIV1 prevalent, progressive fast.Can live 30 years Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX. Welcome once again. The above question are irrelevant as far as you are concerned as you had only a protected exposure. Anyhow I will answer your queries. 1. Throughout the world over HIV-1 is highly prevalent. HIV- 2 outside Africa is very much less than 0.5%, whereas in South Africa it is around 1-2%. 2.HIV-1 is more progressive in nature and transmitted easily to spouses and as MTCT compared to that of HIV-2 infection. Treatment-wise certain ART drugs have no role in the management (eg. NNRTI and fusion inhibitors). 3. As per the present regimen of ART and availability of various clauses of ART drugs, one can live not less than 30 years if he/she follows the guidance of their physician. I hope that you got the answers for your questions and if you have more queries feel free to ask. Dr S.Murugan