Experiencing burning sensation and pain in hip, knee, shoulder and back. Fibromyalgia?

Nov 2013

I have generalized pain (dull) pretty much all the time. Mostly in the hips, knees, shoulders and backs. It just moves around. I also experience burning sensations at various areas on my body, started on the top of my left foot. I also sometimes have pain in a muscle that makes me just want to flex really hard to ease the pain. I have avoided going to my doctor. Really don't want to be put through a bunch of tests that show nothing. I'm thinking fibromyalgia.?????
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

After going through your symptoms, I would tend to agree with you that most likely these are symptoms of fibromyalgia.

As per the criteria for its diagnosis, multiple areas of pain are required, which are tender on pressure. I think you fulfil this criteria.

However, it also requires exclusion of those disorders that can cause similar symptoms. So, this leads to many tests such as MRI, NCV, EMG, thyroid profile and vitamin B12 level. However, I would agree with you that these are not a must in your case. As you are otherwise well, these are likely to be normal.

The best approach would be to start with medications such as pregabalin, along with physiotherapy, massage, etc.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist