Experiencing body pain after dialysis treatment. How to get relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband had his dialysis treatment today and is now suffering from very strong cramping in various parts of his body - hands, side, legs. Is there anything I can do to help relieve him of this? Sometimes he has cramps after his treatment and sometimes, not. This time it is pretty bad. Can I help him?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
The muscle cramping experienced after the end of the dialysis treatment and persisting for a time after dialysis often is due to dehydration or a low blood pressure. Heat and massage for the cramping muscle can ease the pain.
Avoid the foods that make him feel thirsty. You can give him oral fluids every hour to correct the dehydration he might be having.
For leg cramps after every dialysis, ask his physician- he may prescribe Quinine, Carnitine, or another medication.
Also he can try a program of gentle stretching and toning exercises targeted at the muscles which may tend to cramp after dialysis. Before starting any exercise program, consult with your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.