Experiencing bloating and distension of abdomen. Burping excessively. Suggest the treatment?

I think my question has to do with a digestive issue. I am experiencing a bloating and distension of my abdomen lately. I am also plagued by an excessive need to burp that doesn't provide much relief. I don't have insurance and pay out of pocket. My question is what test(s) would be needed to find out what the problem is since money is an issue and I cannot run a million tests out of pocket. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need of the test initially

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
The symtoms of bloating, distension and burping will first guide you to a diagnosis of acid excess. This may be a gastritis, or gastro esophageal reflux disease. Both need to be treated with taking a bland diet for 2-3 weeks, with excess of drinking a water and OTC drugs like Ranitidine 150mg twice a day for 10-15 days. These medications are safe and will help in reducing the acid content of the stomach and the symptoms that you have stated.
If the symptoms do not settle with this medication and regime then you will need to take following tests:
1) serum Amylase and Sr. Lipase for evaluating pancreas.
2) OGD endoscopy, to have a look at the stomach, duodenum
3) Liver function test, to know the profile of liver.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.