Ask a Dentist   »  

Experiencing bleeding gum. Required treatment?

I am experiencing gum bleeding in between the two front incisors from past 3-4 days. Please find attached photo for detail.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for your question.
I have a few questions for you:
-do you have cold sensitivity in your teeth that lingers longer than 15 seconds?
-do you have any pus coming out of your gums from this spot?

Based on the image I viewed, your oral hygiene needs to be significantly improved. You currently have severe gingivitis, possibly with bone loss (periodontitis). This is based on the image of severe inflammation and plaque build up around your teeth.

You need to:
-brush at least twice a day. Brush with your brush at a 45 degree angle towards your gums in gentle little circles.
-floss your teeth once a day. Hug the floss against the side of the tooth and rub up and down 4-6 times each side of the tooth.
-use Listerine once a day to help remove some of the bacteria
-you can also swish and spit 3% hydrogen peroxide as well.

The lesion on your gums looks like either a periodontal or endodontic abscess. I recommend going to the dentist to get a periodontal evaluation, x-rays and tooth vitality test. The dentist will also have you see their hygienist for a thurough cleaning.

If the lesion is endodontic, you'll have to have your tooth evaluated for a root canal or extraction. If it is periodontic, you'll have to be evaluated by a periodontist have have gum surgery.

-The bleeding will stop within a few weeks with the proper cleanings and evaluation with the dentist. You should also use salt water 1/2 tsp table salt with 10 onces warm water swish and spit 4-6 times a day.

If you have any further questions I'll gladly answer them for you.

Dr. Ward
Follow-up: Experiencing bleeding gum. Required treatment? 24 minutes later

Thanks for your quick reply.

First let me answer your 2 questions. For the first question my answer is YES. I feel often that there is a cold sensitivity which stays for a few minutes. and NO for the second question, I only see blood coming out. There may be pus in small quantity but I can't see any pus.

You are absolutely correct about my Oral Hygiene, even I am feeling the same for quiet a few months. Do I need to avoid any kind of food to improve my overall oral hygiene?

Do I need to change my toothpaste or toothbrush? I am attaching the images of the same with this message.

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 17 hours later
Hello and thank you for your response,
I would recommend all of the advice I gave in the previous response. I would go in and have your teeth and gums evaluated to determine the source of your infection radiographically and through periodontal examination.

You should avoid sugars, sticky candy, sticky carbohydrates, etc. Anything that sticks to your teeth should be avoided.

Your tooth brush and tooth paste are fine. You should change your tooth brush every 2-3 months due to wear. Remember to brush and massage your gums with your tooth brush.

Feel free to follow up if you have any more questions

Best Regards

Dr. Ward