Experiencing belching, sharp pain under rib-cage. CT scan and ultrasound done. What is the problem?

Jan 2013

For over a week now I have been experienciening belching, sharp pain under the right side of my ribcage, horrible bloating (that has been the worst symptom my guts go crazy digesting food) and yellow/orange loose stool. I had a CT scan done and a ultrasound of my gallbladder which showed nothing. My blood test was normal expect my Lipease was slightly elevated. I have lost 10 pounds in a week and 2 days. I have tenderness under the right rib cage when pushed on. The doctor diagnosed me with gastroniteritis but I do not think that is what it is. Could it still be my gallbladder even though no stones were found?
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 59 minutes later

1) Your doctor is right, you are most likely suffering from acute viral gastroenteritis. Presence of loose stool & excessive belching, abdominal bloating and pain indicates some sort of infection.

2) Kindly mention the type of abdominal pain. Presence of spasmodic abdominal pain suggest infection.

3) Although your lipase is raised but acute pancreatitis is diagnosed only when these levels are 3 times raised above the normal level. Pain in pancreatitis is increased after taking meals and not associated with excessive belching.

4) Yes, inflammation of gall bladder may occur in absence of stone and this is called as acalculous cholecystitis. This condition is more common in terminally ill patient and not associated with excessive belching and bloating.

5) You should avoid all milk & milk products (cheese, butter, yogurt).

6) You should take treatment for gastroenteritis.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava