Experiencing alot of grinding and popping in both knees. What are the chances of getting better?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For the last several years I have been experiencing alot of grinding and popping in both knees. Typically this doesn't bother me except when I climb the stairs - then it aches a little. Recently I started a new workout problem which incorporates alot of squatting and lunging. To my dismay, I have discovered that these actions cause quite a bit of pain. If I am able to work through the pain, what are the chances that it will get better as the muscles build?
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
From your symptoms it seems that both of your knee joints have undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Since the problem is due to loss of lubricating agents in the knee joints, the building up of muscles is not likely to relieve the symptoms.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.