Experiencing ache in the back, feel nauseous, vomit, pain in chest and armpit with dizziness. History of chronic illness. Cure?

I've been experiencing a dull ache in the back of my head just where my spine meets my skull which has caused me to not only feel nauseous but to actually vomit once or twice. The severity varies, and usually worsens as the day goes on. Along with this I've had sharp pains in my chest and under my armpits and lost feelig in my arm very briefly during the night, accompanied by extreme dizziness leading to extreme anxiety and eventually to almost fainting. I also have a sore throat and glands/nodes in my neck, groin and armpit are extremely swollen and tender to touch. I'm 20 years old and in good shape, and have a history of chronic illness from the age of 16.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Thanks for asking for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Your symptoms of neck pain, arm pain, shoulder blade and chest pain, parasthesia or altered sensation ranging from numbness to sharp pains could be due to cervical radicolopathy at c5, c6 level. It means compression of nerve in the spine that results in neurological symptoms along the course of the affected nerve. This can occur without any evidence of spinal dysfunction. Muscle spasm at that level is the reason for neck pain.

Although you say the pain is more near the junction of neck and head (c2), your symptoms are suggestive of compression at c5 ,c6 level. Compression at c2 level will cause only neck pain and jaw pain whereas, compression above c5, c6 level results in pain near ear, neck and in the area around shoulder blade and not in hands.

MRI and CT of cervical spine will confirm the diagnosis. You should consult an Orthopedician for confirmation of diagnosis and further course of management. Drugs like Gabapentin are effective in controlling neuropathic pain. Analgesics like Ibuprofen will help in neck pain Physiotherapy will give additional benefit.

I hope this helps. Please contact me for further queries.