Experiencing abdominal pain, increases with aleve or gaviscon. Had colon removed and treated for bladder infection

I am a 72 year old Hispanic woman who is experiencing lower abdominal pain since Saturday, July 20th. It lets up after I take Aleve or Gaviscon and then it comes on pretty strong. I had 18 in. of my colon removed a few years ago and I have been treated for bladder infections, incontinence and had my appendix removed when I was a teenager. I would appreciate your input into my problem.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 53 minutes later
Hello, I will be happy to help.
The fact that the pain is alleviated by Aleve and or Gaviscon, makes it sound like it is an inflammatory process, probably in the colon. It would be important to know why you had a part of your colon removed. If it was because of diverticulitis or an abscess, it is possible that this has recurred (and you may need further treatment with antibiotics). However with an inflammatory process of the colon, usually (but not always) patients have a change in bowel habits (either diarrhea or constipation).
Keep in mind, that the abdomen has many organs and any of them may be acting up, and other common causes of lower abdominal pain include (but not limited to) ovarian problems, bladder and kidney infections, vascular problems. It is difficult to diagnose a problem through the internet, without a physical exam and an imaging study of the abdomen (such as an ultrasound or a CT scan).
I would suggest you visiting your symptoms tonight (such as blood in the stool, unbearable pain that does not go away with those meds) I would recommend going immediately to the emergency room.
Hopefully it is just a colonic spasm, but better be safe than sorry.
Hopefully that helps, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.