Experiencing abdominal pain and nausea. Is this related to menstrual cycle?

Question
My daughter who is 13 is experiencing on and off bouts of adominal pain (on both sides) and nauseau. This seems to start with her getting her period where it seems like the neaseau would happen on the same day of the month. Now it seems like she is getting more bouts of nauseau and now is having adominal pain as well. She seems to be perfectly fine when she is not having this, but seems to come and go alot. She doesn't have a fever either.
I am not sure if this is related to her mesturation cycle or not.
Thanks,

XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Pain during periods with nausea is called dysmenorrea.
This is a very common problem seen in teenage girls caused due hormonal imbalance in the body.
Infact ,pain during menstruation suggest ovulatory cycles and there is nothing to worry about it.

She needs mefanemic acid .
Please take Gynecologist advice for the same.
You can write to me for further details.

regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Experiencing abdominal pain and nausea. Is this related to menstrual cycle? 10 hours later
Dr. Nilofer

Maybe I am asking my question wrong. My daughter now seems to be getting this pain (lower abdomen, both sides) more often now and NOT on certain days of her cycle. It seems to be happening more often.

Can what you describe happen on ANY day of her cycle?

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 46 minutes later
Thanks for the clarification.

Symptoms of lower abdominal(both sides) with nausea could be due due low grade sometimes present without fever.

I recommend you to:
1. Get a urine microscopy and culture.
2. Ultrasound abdomen to look for kidney ,ureter and bladder(cystitis).
3. Drink lot of water.

Hope i have answered your query. You may write to me anytime for further clarifications.

regards,
Dr Nilofer