Experiencing a pain in elbow. Tests showed Vitamin D deficiency. Advised for morning sun. Medication?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dear Doctor,

I've been experiencing a small amount of pain in my left elbow for the past several months. However, since the past two weeks or so, it's been increasing drastically.

My annual medical tests were done three weeks ago, and the results showed that I have Vitamin D deficiency. Upon consulting with a doctor, I was told that my elbow pain could be related to the deficiency of this vitamin, and was prescribed "D-Rise".

This was prescribed to all the 4 people in my family, and the doctor suggested that since we are all vegetarians, we are deficient of this Vitamin.

We were advised to walk in the morning sun for 30 minutes every day, and continue supplementing with D-Rise.

I'm writing for a second opinion here, and I need to know what is the correct dosage of this medicine, and if there are any conditions (like to be taken in the morning, or in empty stomach, etc).

Many thanks,
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 50 minutes later
The pain in the elbow that you have could be related to vitamin D 3 deficiency or an inflammation of tendons in the area- tendonitis. If the pain is radiating down the forearm then tennis elbow also needs to be ruled out after a physical examination.
Regarding vitamin D supplementation, you need to take a XXXXXXX or tablet of vitamin D (D-rise) with milk or curd once a week for 8 weeks and then once a month. Each XXXXXXX contains 60,000 IU of vitamin D. This can be taken any time of the day half an hour after the meal. You then need to repeat the levels of vitamin D3 after 8 weeks to see the improvement.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.