Experiencing a pain in elbow. Have vitamin D deficiency. Dosage of D-rise?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Dear Doctor,

I've been experiencing a small amount of pain in my left elbow for the past several months. However, since the past two weeks or so, it's been increasing drastically.

My annual medical tests were done three weeks ago, and the results showed that I have Vitamin D deficiency. Upon consulting with a doctor, I was told that my elbow pain could be related to the deficiency of this vitamin, and was prescribed "D-Rise".

This was prescribed to all the 4 people in my family, and the doctor suggested that since we are all vegetarians, we are deficient of this Vitamin.

We were advised to walk in the morning sun for 30 minutes every day, and continue supplementing with D-Rise.

I'm writing for a second opinion here, and I need to know what is the correct dosage of this medicine, and if there are any conditions (like to be taken in the morning, or in empty stomach, etc).

Many thanks,
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

Your treating doctor is correct. Pain in your left elbow could be related to vit D3 deficiency.
For deficiency at least 1000 IU( 25 micrograms) of vitD3 is to be taken from mouth daily.
Take this vit D supplement with the largest meal of the day. It can possibly increase vit D absorption by up to 50%.
I also suggest you to check Vit D levels every 3 months during treatment of deficiency.

Hope this helps you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Experiencing a pain in elbow. Have vitamin D deficiency. Dosage of D-rise? 6 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for advising. Your help is much appreciated.

One small XXXXXXX of D-Rise contains 0000 IU of D3. How can I ensure that I consume only 1000? Will it be OK if I consume about half or quarter of the pack contents? Or, is it OK to consume the entire pack?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 20 hours later
Thanks for writing again and sorry for the delay.

You can consume once sachet(0000IU) once in a week with a glass of milk.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back if you have any more concern.

Wishing you healthy life.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon