Experiencing a gush of clear odourless fluids, very little spotting or bleeding post partum. What is it?

Question
I am about one week post partum and am experiencing a gush of clear odorless fluids off and on today
very little spotting or bleeding, so no concern there-but should I be concerned about the clear odorless gush? it just soaked my underwear
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Hi.
thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

During puerperium (period after delivery), you get a discharge called Lochia. After delivery, bits of fetal membrane and blood clots may still be present in the area where placenta was attached to the uterus. These are shed off as Lochia.

The discharge is red initially and gradually becomes white by around tenth day. It may either come intermittently or as a 'gush' soaking your pad. Don't worry, it is completely normal. Since it is only your first week, you are having a copious discharge on and off. It may be this way for another 10 to 12 days and then it will gradually subside. When you start moving actively (freely) it may come back but eventually will disappear after few days.

Healthy Lochia has a sweetish odour. As long as the discharge is not foul smelling or yellow in colour you need not worry. Only if turns foul smelling, indicating infection, you should consult your treating Dr for further course of action. Since you have mentioned that it is clear and odourless, there is no need for concern. It is quite normal to get such gush.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any more concerns.
Regards.

Follow-up: Experiencing a gush of clear odourless fluids, very little spotting or bleeding post partum. What is it? 5 hours later
Thank you-- I forgot to mention that I had a c section-- so your answer applies to post c section recovery as well? I am assuming the answer is "yes" but am
Just double checking

Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 13 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.

Yes you are right. Lochia XXXXXXX (white discharge) occurs in all women who have delivered a baby either through c - section or through normal labor. The flow may be slightly heavier every time after breast feeding your baby.

Thanks and best regards.

Follow-up: Experiencing a gush of clear odourless fluids, very little spotting or bleeding post partum. What is it? 1 minute later
Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 6 minutes later
Welcome and my best wishes to your baby.