Experiencing a dull pain in chest. No short of breath, pain intense when breathe. Is it cardiac arrest?

I am experiencing a dull ache/pain from my chest down my right arm for the last several hours. The pain is enough to wake me from sleep. I don't feel short of breath although the pain is more intense when I breathe. Should I go to the emergency room to be checked immediately? Could it be cardiac related.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 27 minutes later
Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX

Chest pain of squeezing type, feeling like band, increasing on exertion, radiating to left shoulder, neck, tooth is the classical cardiac anginal pain. But many a times radiation to right arm has been seen and any such pain must be screened via electrocardiography.

In your case since the pain is increasing on deep breath, there is possibility that some pleural inflammation is going on and since it is radiating to right arm, there may be involvement of brachial plexus or the diaphragm. Disease condition affecting the pleural surface along the lung apices or diaphragm can present like this e.g pneumothorax, acute pleuritis, pulmonary embolism etc or else it can be simple musculoskeletal pain.

At this juncture I will advise you to go at least for Electrocardiography (ECG) and Chest x-ray to rule out these conditions. If they are OK pain can be relieved by simple analgesics and muscle relaxants.....

Best wishes