Experiencing Chest pain. Done with cardiac tests, stress test and endoscopy. Is heart pain due to GERD and acid reflux?

Hi , I am 29. I have been experiencing Chest pains from quite some time, I should say has been perpetuating since the last 3-4 months. I have carried out all the cardiac related tests namely - ECGs multiple of them, 2D Echo, Stress tests, they have all been normal.

However during the endoscopy - I was diagnosed with -

Esophagus - CO Junction( Z Line 38 Cms)
Laz Cardia + With small sliding hiatus hernia about 3 cms in length
Mild esophagitis ++ involving lower 1/3
Stomach - Free acid pool
multiple suferficial ullcers noted in antrum and prepyloric area
Rest of the mucosa shows erythermatous patches. No growth or varices seen.
Pylorus normal

Duodenum - D1 - Presence of superficial ulcer on the anterior wall. No bleed seen
D2- Duodenitis ++

It also states that I have GERD.

My question - is the heart pain - a cause of GERD and acid reflux.

Medicines that I have taken so far -
1. Happi Xt
2. Nexpro
3 Rabicip D
4. Ilaprazole
5. Sucralfate - 1 month
6. HP Kit - 6 days

Now I am taking Rabonic plus once and histac 150 twice ...let me know what should I do?

Kindly suggest!!

Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to GERD.Continue few drugs & local anesthetic

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through your query and understand your concern.

1. Your question: Is the heart pain - a cause of GERD and acid reflux.
Yes the pain you are suffering is due to acid reflux. GERD means gastro esophageal reflux disease. So the acid gets reflux into esophagus and cause burning pain.

2. Medications.
A. Happi Xt: Proton Pump Inhibitor(PPI) -Rabeprazole and a mucoprotective agent polaprezinc
B. Nexpro: PPI- Esomeprazole Magnesium
C. Rabicip D: PPI Rabeprazole + anti emetic Domperidone,
D. Ilaprazole: PPI
E. Sucralfate - ulcer protective
F. HP Kit - 6 days: Contains antibiotic along with PPI
G. Rabonic plus: PPI Rabeprazole sodium , levosulpiride
H. Histac 150 : Ranitidine. H 2 blocket

So you have taken multiple PPI. So I advice you to continue only one PPI, one anti emetic and one ulcer protective like sucralfate. But you can't use sucralfate and PPI at same time.
Avoid spicy food, tea and coffee.Maintain regular timings for food. While sleeping have head end raised.

If the pain is more you can take local anesthetic syrup like mucaine get and continue other treatment. This will help you in preventing the pain and other drugs help you in healing the ulcer.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Consult your doctor for further management.

Wish you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Experiencing Chest pain. Done with cardiac tests, stress test and endoscopy. Is heart pain due to GERD and acid reflux? 7 minutes later
Thanks so much for your response. Just out of curiosity ? I have a few questions -

1. Is this XXXXXXX ? and will it have an effect on my heart.
2. Should I continue Rabonic plus + histac 150 or you suggest some other combination as you said I cant take Sucralfate with PPIs.

3. How long does it usually take to subside and get cured?

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
No effect on heart.Continue drugs & life style mod

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, thanks for writing back.

1. Is this dangerous?
No many of my patients are suffering from this disease.Only if there is deep ulcer the chance of perforation is there. You have superficial ulcers so we can prevent any further complications. If you take regular medications and few life style modifications we can treat this.
The sliding hiatus hernia may require surgery, you need to discuss with your doctor (gastroenterologist / surgeon) once for its next management.

2. No this won't effect your heart.

3. Yes continue Rabonic plus + histac 150, Rabonic plus should be taken in evening hour, 30min-1hour before food and histac 150mg can be taken in morning hours. Take Tab Domperidone to prevent reflux and sucralfate syp as ulcer protective. Sucralfate and PPI should not be taken at same time but can be taken at different time. Syp mucaine gel as and when required.

With the medications needs some life style modifications. Regular exercises, limit food intake each time and distribute the total amount of calories (food) into 5-6 times with 2.5 to 3 hours interval. Good hydration is required and head end elevation. These will help you.

4. For complete cure, it depends on individual gastric activity and healing. You need to continue medications for at least 2-3 months with all life style modifications.

Hope this helps you in the management. Consult your doctor once to discuss on the above said measures.
Wish you faster recovery and good health.