Experiencing Anal Itching. Suggest medication to get rid of this problem?

Oncologist
Question
Hi I have been experiencing Anal Itching for the last few months. I am based in Bangalore, India and need some cream or medication available OTC to get rid of this problem.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

The most likely cause of the itching sensation is hemorrhoids. Generally over-the-counter medication will help to slowly resolve the symptoms. Most of the over-the-counter preparations have a component of hydrocortisone. You might look for a brand such as Preparation H. It is generally recommended that you apply this to the affected area after each bowel movement.

In addition I would also recommend that you try to sit in a warm bath for about 15 or 20 minutes once or twice daily. The warm water of the bath will help to soothe the area and may also promote healing.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Experiencing Anal Itching. Suggest medication to get rid of this problem? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor

Thanks for your reply. I would like to know what exactly do you mean by Preparation H. Is thier any brand name in India for this preparation? If you can provide some names of these preparations, it will help.

Regds

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Yes. This is a brand name. If not available ask pharmacist for topical rectal cream containing hydrocortisone.

Dr Galamaga

Follow-up: Experiencing Anal Itching. Suggest medication to get rid of this problem? 19 hours later
Hi doctor, there is no medication as Preparation H available here. The pharmacist did tell me it is prescribed for Piles and used to be available and now it is no more being manufactured.

I went thru the threads on the same subject in this site and came across Proctosedyl Ointment prescribed for similar problem. I have purchased this and the formula per gram contains below. Please check and let me know if this can be used as prescribed twice a day.

Hydrocortisone Acetate IP - 5.58mg
Framycetin Sulphate IP - 10mg
Heparin Sodium IP - 100 units
Esculoside - 10mg
Ethyl 4-aminobenzoate IP - 10mg
Butyl p-aminobenzoate USP - 10mg

Regds

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up.

This type of preparation would be something similar to a standard which we use in our practice for this type of symptom. We would expect this to work well for hemorrhoids.

Please contact your doctor regarding appropriate instructions and use of this medication.

Thanks again for sending your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga