Experienced weight loss, decreased appetite, amenorrhea and hypothyroidism. Diagnosed with pituitary abnormality. Guide?

Hello, I have a question about pituitary abnormalities. In the past month I have experienced a 15 lb weight loss, decreased appetite, amenorrhea, hypothyroidism with my TSH level at 2.0 in the ER. I also have rotating abdominal pain, periods of excessive thirst and increased urination and excessive fatigue. I went to the ER when my symptoms became intolerable and was diagnosed with a pituitary abnormality and now I am worried sick I have either a hypothalmic or pituitary tumor. Does these sound like the manifestations of either? Also, which is the more likely cause of my symptoms? I should probably add I am a 23 year old previously healthy female. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 3 hours later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Well, most of your symptoms may suggest a problem with the HPA (the Hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis).
TSH of 2 (without any treatment on ) is not hypothyroidism. It should be more than 5 or so.

Do you have any visual problems, headache, nausea, vomiting?
A pituitary tumour would likely have them.
Has a MRI scan of the brain been done?
What hormone tests have been done so far?

It would greatly help if you could upload any test reports here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
YYYY@YYYY      with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

It is grossly suggesting a hypo-function of the HPA axis as a cause of your problems.
But the abnormalities may be complex and I would need great details.

I would recommend a consultation with an endocrinologist, a gynaecologist, hormonal assays, ultrasound of the abdomen/ pelvis and MRI brain apart from routine blood labs , Xray chest, ECG.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!
Follow-up: Experienced weight loss, decreased appetite, amenorrhea and hypothyroidism. Diagnosed with pituitary abnormality. Guide? 7 minutes later
I have had some pressure.behind my sinuses and in line with my ears which is accompanied with a feeling of the thyroid swelling. There's not any real noticeable vision changes however. What would cause suppression of the HPA axis?
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 12 minutes later
Is there a swelling of the thyroid gland in the neck?
Has T3, T4 estimation been done?
Are you on any medicines?

Any tumour or other pathology like vascular cause in the pituitary or hypothalamus in the brain can cause HPA suppression.

Please answer the other questions.